Friday, March 14, 2008

What's new with us? Well, since you asked...

Life's good. Zack got hired at Gulf High School as a math teacher and assistant track coach about 6 weeks ago, so we're finally able to pay some bills and stop living on credit cards (I know!). He's been pretty busy with that, especially since assistant coach apparently means "he who does all the leg and brain work but gets no credit or paycheck." We were unaware of the definition 6 weeks ago. Here are some pics of him coaching at a track meet. (Those little blurrs are runners!)

We bought a small business from some friends that involves immobilizing the vehicles of DUI offenders. We officially took over at the beginning of February. Zack's been working for the company for over a year now. I'm officially the president, so I always tease Zack about how I'm his boss. He seems to have already known that. We're still living with my parents for now, but are looking into buying a house. We found one in New Port Richey we really like, so we may put a bid on it soon. I've been keeping busy working on getting all the logistics of the business set up, and making sure things run smoothly.

We like our new church a lot. It didn't take long for us to get sucked into ministry there (if that sounded cynical, I apologize, I'm working on that). Zack plays acoustic guitar and bass, and I sing on the praise team. Zack's heading up the altar ministry. I really like the people there--they are super nice and genuine. I also like the fact that there are a lot of young couples and families. The pastor and his wife have 2 small children they adopted from China. The church has a heart for missions, which suits us well. We still feel called to missions, so we just take things one day at a time, praying that doors will be opened and closed, and following our hearts. We don't know at what point God will call us to another country, but we think He will. We do know that we don't want to get ahead of Him or force something to happen--we just have to place our trust in Him and learn to lean on Him day by day. He must know how much we struggle with not knowing. He's always teaching us something. We're constantly praying, "Lord, let us learn it now, so we don't have to go through it again later." Zack is really enjoying working with teenagers again, though we miss our youth in Spring Hill. I got really sad thinking about them the other day, and all the memories. God knows.

Zack ran his first marathon last month, and his dad flew down to be there. We are all so proud of him. It seems like he can do anything. I envy his discipline and drive.

I got my hair cut about a month ago. It's the shortest I've ever cut it, and probably ever will again. I like it better now that it's growing out a bit. I don't have the face or the hair texture for short hair.

My nephew Aiden is getting chubbier than ever. The girls (Peyton and Jordan) are spending the night tonight. And our plan has been to take them to "Movies at the Park" up the street to watch the Bee Movie, but it's been raining, so I don't know if they'll cancel it. Peyton turned 7 last Sunday and had a little party Saturday. Zack and I took Peyton and Jordan to the Strawberry Festival last Wednesday, where Jordan learned she doesn't much like rides, and Peyton got picked out of the audience TWICE to represent a section for the pig races (there were hundreds of people there both times, and we sat in different sections each time!), and her pig won BOTH times! She got a ribbon that says "I picked a winner!" We had a good time, but didn't stay to hear Tom Jones perform that night. I didn't think the girls would be fans.

Business has picked up this week, which is good. I went with Peyton's class to the zoo a couple weeks ago and discovered I don't hate animals as much as I thought (don't get any ideas, I'm not getting a pet!) I'll post the video of the girls feeding the giraffe.
I've been exercising with Rebekah the past few weeks, though we've started slacking. Yesterday I decided to run, and today I can hardly walk. It seems to take so long to get in shape, and so little time to get out of it. But my goal is to be buff by Micah's wedding in May. That may be part of my problem--unrealistic goals. Maybe.

Well, Zack's Spring break is coming up in a couple of weeks, so we're going to Georgia to visit our friends Chad and Rhonda. They are 2 of the sweetest people alive, and I think Chad may be my husband's soul twin.

We recently had an experience in which a giant screwdriver flew off a semi-truck and hit the hood of our car. The hilarious part is that a year ago, the same thing happened to us on the interstate, when a flagpole flew off a semi and smashed our windshield. Anyway, I got the check in the mail from the insurance company for the damage last week just about the same time I got the bill for Zack's little ER visit in December. Seems God let our car get smashed so we could afford to pay for Zack's face getting smashed. The Lord works in mysterious ways =).

Well, I should go exercise, I've procrastinated long enough...only a month and a half to get in shape! I love you all, and hope to talk to you soon. Send me a comment so I know you're still alive!

3 comments:

PHS 1987 Alumni said...

Thanks for your update! I love and miss you guys!

Beth

Meghan said...

i'm alive...in case you were wondering. ;-D

Anonymous said...

Aww, it's great to see what's going on. I'd start a blog myself, but whenever I've tried to do it in the past, I usually end up writing things like: "Well, it's raining today. Ok, more later." And then that's all I ever say.

I'm praying for you! We ministry folk have to stick together!

- Miranda



Powered By Blogger