Thursday, March 13, 2008

A person's a person, no matter how small.


As of now, Zack, Meghan and I have decided to print out flyers to pass out at movie theaters on Saturday for the opening weekend of the movie Horton Hears a Who. The premise of the movie is "A person's a person, no matter how small." This theme speaks so beautifully to the rights of the unborn. I went online to see if I could find a template for something people are passing out, but instead I found so many blogs discussing the hot topic of this movie and abortion.

I am always surprised when I hear people using words like self-righteous, fanatics or religious zealots to describe those who take a stand for the lives of the unborn. One blog actually said how ridiculous it was to compare the two things, and then went on a rampage about how Theodor Geisel (Dr. Seuss) didn't write the book to be about abortion. Instead, they said, it was intended to be about the Japanese after the bombing of Hiroshima, and went on to defend the rights of those people to live. I thought, "And how is that not about human life?" Maybe Mr. Geisel didn't intend for the book to relate to abortion, but it is a story about human rights--the right to live, no matter how small or insignificant that person may seem. Maybe he didn't write it to mean that, but the story is universally true, and it applies, whether it supports your beliefs or not. How can anyone with one eye and half a brain not see the correlation? How can someone trying to defend the murder of the innocent be called SELF-righteous? Aren't those who think they have the right to decide the fate of a human life the ones who have proclaimed themselves to be God?

The argument for abortion is so ludicrous to me that I find myself constantly surprised that people believe it. In fact, I don't believe that people believe it. It's absurd. It's a lie perpetuated by misguided media, and self-serving political figures and the devil himself. Who has the right to give or take life but God? This whole abortion issue is such a symptom of a society that doesn't acknowledge the existence of God. I recently heard rumored a notion of legalized post-birth abortions. What? Can that really be serious? How about we reserve the right for the mother to kill her child a year or two after the birth? It's her right, isn't it? Isn't it that ridiculous? Doesn't it seem like murder to everyone else?

I can't help but think of the Holocaust. An entire race marked for death. People often wonder how humanity could be capable of such gruesome violence. And we sit so smugly watching Hotel Rwanda or Schindler's List and think we are not as guilty. I'm afraid Americans in general are so self-righteous that even if we realized what we were doing, we would be too proud to admit it, or to change. And what great world power will there be to stop us? Hitler had massive armies knocking on Germany's door. But who will save the babies? Who will stand against a culture of death? Only God's judgment, I fear.

It sickens me, angers me, brings me to tears. But no emotion will save the babies. Only prayer. Only prayer. Don't forget to pray for them. We can't forget such an epic injustice. An entire generation marked for death. We have to stand up for those who have no voice, because a person is a person, no matter how small!

"Jesus, I plead your blood over my sins and the sins of my nation. God, end abortion and send revival to America."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent, Whit.
Special K

PHS 1987 Alumni said...

Love, love, love it!!!

Beth

Anonymous said...

I left you a comment on this yesterday, but it didn't save it for some reason. This is really good writing and really true. I love you!

Zack

Meghan said...

well-written, whit.



Powered By Blogger