Thursday, September 04, 2008

Water Logged


So...Tuesday I babysat the daughter of some friends. Their nanny was sick, and I was their only hope. They dropped her off at 6:45am, so it was a good thing she took a 2 1/2-hr nap, because I snoozed right along with her. She's 2 and oh-so-cute. Later in the afternoon, my sister Meghan came over and brought a bathing suit of my niece's for the little girl to wear, and we all went swimming at the apartment complex we just moved to (pictures to follow...as soon as we finally get the last room completed!)

Things had gone well that day...almost too well. We swam for a while and were about to leave when the little girl ran over to the steps of the pool again and got in. She can't swim and didn't have water wings. We were leaving, so we told her not to get in, but...2-year-olds will be 2-year-olds, so she got in anyway. I walked over to help her out when she tumbled down into the water. I was right beside her, so I reached in to grab her arm, but I couldn't get ahold of it for a second, and Meghan panicked and yelled "Get her!" So, phone in hand and Vera Bradley purse on shoulder, I jumped in and grabbed her out. When I pulled her up (it had been a total of about 4 seconds, so don't worry), she was smiling and just said "Sorry!"...Sorry...as if she could see my Chocolate phone sinking beneath the water...sorry...as if watching the chlorine water stealing the color from my new Java Blue tote. I also skinned my knee pretty badly on the steps when I heaved my body in. I emerged from the pool fully clothed, dripping wet, bleeding, and getting a blank white screen from my non-responsive cell phone. I was not a happy camper. Could have been much worse...or a whole lot better. I'm hoping her parents don't read this, because I didn't happen to mention it to them when they picked her up later.

I am happy to report, however, that the water has officially evaporated from my cell phone and it is almost completely functional again. My knee is looking less like that of an 8-year-old's, and my Vera looks fine.

To the parents of that little girl: I reserve the right to create fictional stories portrayed as reality for my blog. To all other readers: This is a not one of those times.

1 comment:

Meghan said...

ha-HA! good times...



Powered By Blogger